Sunday, June 17, 2007

happy father's day ...to all my Fathers --spiritual and biological






Happy Father's Day to my father who fed , loved , raised and put up with me--especially those times when i wasn't too cool--i love you dad .

And Happy Father's Day to my spiritual father-- Malcolm X and to his spiritual father --Marcus Garvey --the Pan-African Father of us all . Peace be upon you my fathers --we love you and will continue your legacy by building the Fourth Golden Age of Mother Africa and her children . Peace .


My spiritual father .

When i was 13 there was on public tv , a special tribute to malcolm x .

the program was called "black journal" then , later the name would be changed to "tony brown's journal" . but anyway , they aired footage of old tv interviews with malcolm .

i was in the kitchen and heard a blackman speak words like no other blackman i had
ever heard before.

i ran from the kitchen to the room where the tv was to see who this man was that my
mother was watching . She explained to me who he was and when she saw how
stunned i was watching malcolm speak , i guess she saw something .

later that week she went to the book store of the community college where she was working on her nursing RN and bought me a copy of the autobiography and a copy of his speeches .

she instructed me to read the autobiography first and then the speeches . she said ,
" if there are any words you don't understand , look them up in the dictionary ."

it was a thursday evening .

i know i went to school that next day , but i don't remember anything about it or the
next three days except reading around the clock and being totally absorbed in those books .

by sunday evening , i had finished and in the process had been transformed from a negro into a black man .

i would read those books about a total of seven times --those books were food to a starving young man .

before malcolm , i was being groomed by my white teachers at school to be some disgusting "negro first " -- as in "first negro to do this ...first negro to do that ..."

"first negro to be brainwashed against himself while reading latin upside down "

reading Malcolm was almost like meeting him , he lives in me , in my thoughts and in my heart .

my father taught me to be a man , but malcolm taught me to be a black man and he is my spiritual father .

looking back now , i think my mother sensed this ,
and that malcolm could help provide for me what my own father as a young man , had
never been provided with .

through dialogues with my dad --he rapidly changed too and , became a "race man" , a union activist and in his own way a political activist and i'm am very proud of him .

i thank my late mother for this , for giving me malcolm .
i thank her also for helping my father to grow .
i thank her also for teaching me to express my thoughts in writing . and i thank her for adding to all the boxing skills that my father taught me by funding my early martial arts
explorations .

malcolm had no sons of his own , but i believe he has many spiritual sons and daughters--like the beautiful scene in the spike lee movie where nelson mandela and all the children say ,
" i am malcolm x " .


"when we started the black panther party in october 1966 we saw ourselves as continuing the work that malcolm x had begun " huey p. newton and bobby seale




Posted by diallo sekou --the deskRat chronicles on May 20, 2007 - Sunday at 9:07 AM




" UP YOU MIGHTY RACE --YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU WILL !"

influence of marcus garvey part one







influence of marcus garvey part two








influence of marcus garvey part three







influence of marcus garvey part four






influence of marcus garvey part five





discussion : Marcus Garvey and Africans in the Carribean - part one



Marcus Garvey and Africans in the Carribean --part two





Marcus Garvey and Africans in the Carribean --part three

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home